Rural dad


Names

Following closely on the question "Boy or girl?", the name question is the second most common pregnancy question we get asked these days. While we're opting to not make any final decision until we see the little squirmer in our arms, we're doing some thinking, narrowing down the field.

This site helped the process, but mostly was just fascinating to watch the evolution of certain names over time. Why, oh why, did the name Paris make a launch in popularity in 2003? Same year, the name Emma launches to #2? Why did Arland go from 0 in a million births to 12 in the 1930's, only to drop back into obscurity in the '40s? I can only hope it's Marcel Arland, dadaist extreme...he'd appreciate it.

Someone with far more time than me, not to mention skills, should cross reference cultural events with the name phenomenon. Why do I know so many baby Zoe's, Maya's, and Fiona's?

PS....it's a boy

Labels: ,

2 Responses to “Names”

  1. # Blogger Sara

    Cool baby name tool! My oldest is a Maia. I didn't know any other Maia/Mayas before I named her, but now we know several. Ah well. At least its a bit less common than her dad and I, Michael and Sara. Blah.  

  2. # Blogger rural dad

    Crazy how that works, huh? We have 2 friends who were very proud of the uniqueness of the name Fiona...rightly so, it's a nice one. I wish I could have introduced them before they named their kids, not after :)  

Post a Comment


Google
Web Rural Dad

Links







XML

Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Rural dad |
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
/